My roles over time
University of California • 2008–Present
User Experience Researcher 2018–Present
UX Researcher for the Discovery Tools project.
Senior User Experience Designer 2015–Present
Program lead for the Student Innovation Program, an emerging set of resources including boot camps, mentoring, and discovery tools
User experience designer for the SIS Replacement project, a 200-person-team implementing a custom front end (CalCentral) with varied databases (Google suite, PeopleSoft, etc.)
UX researcher, UX designer, feature lead 2015–Present
Computer Systems Engineer 2014–2015
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Designer and developer of climate tools for Earth Sciences Division
- Design and develop software for climate research including the AmeriFlux and FluxNet projects, which gather and share long-term carbon, water and energy flux measurements for climate science.
- Work with researchers who directly identified the source of climate change as human-sourced greenhouse gases. See Observational Determination of Surface Radiative Forcing by CO₂ from 2000 to 2010 Nature, March 2015
User Experience Designer 2008–2014
User experience designer for Student Systems and CalCentral, a personalized dashboard for students, staff and faculty.
- Conduct user research to define use cases across diverse campus populations.
- Perform business and technical analysis to determine feasibility of use cases.
- Analyze APIs to define support for use cases.
- Present research findings to stakeholders including Berkeley's world-class faculty.
- Design user experience and UI elements including interaction patterns, navigation, screens, visual design, icons, etc.
- Mentor UX student team members.
- Co-chair, UC Berkeley campus UCD Group, an active group with over 400 members dedicated to improving the user experience of campus software projects via project usability reviews.
- Co-founder, HEUX (Higher-Ed User eXperience), a multi-institution group that cultivates best practices and organizational strategies via in-service and peer review.
Guest Lecturer, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science 2012
Guest Lecturer, Graduate School of Information 2008–13
- INFO 198 UI Prototyping
- INFO 290 Web Architecture: Usability
- INFO 290 Web Architecture: Participatory Design
Kaiser Permanente • 2015–16
As a member of Kaiser Kaiser Permanente's award-winning Innovation Consultancy:
- Shaped data-gathering instruments for both broad community research as well as the clinical context.
- Modalities included diary studies, shadowing, and video interviews
- Domain was patient profiles for emerging medical concerns.
Stanford University • 2005–08
Research Software Developer
- Designed and developed interactive curricula, UI, code libraries, templates, XML schema, n-tier architecture and client-server communication for interactive language and mathematics curricula. Instructional content was Mandarin and English.
- Conducted usability studies in Chile and South Korea.
- Team lead for student information applications.
University of Texas, Austin / Agile Mind • 2004–12
- Designed, developed and managed interactive, instructional media projects for curriculum developer under the auspices of the University of Texas at Austin. Responsibilities included software development, n-tier architecture, instructional design, user interface design, art direction, and code library authoring and management. Content included calculus and statistics curricula.
Independent website design & development • 2002–04
San Francisco Bay Area
Web designer and developer
Apple • 1989–2002
Software Engineer 1995–2002
- Engineer on consumer projects including iPod, iTunes, and iMovie.
- Created XML-based media shells to reduce the effort needed for localization.
- Lead engineer on a set of tutorials simulating the Mac OS. The eleven person team included five engineers. Project was delivered on the iMac.
- Contributed to developer tools including the Human Interface Guidelines.
- Developed curriculum and trained staff in HTML authoring.
Project Manager 1994–95
- Managed instructional projects. Developed and managed budgets and schedules. Coordinated content, design and production resources.
Production Manager 1993–94
- Managed and contributed to "Wacky Jacks", a cross-platform children's educational CD. The technical heart was a database of 12,000 images. "Wacky Jacks" won New Media magazine's InVision award.
- Modified fonts to achieve cross-platform parity.
- Wrote Windows installer scripts for multimedia titles.
Publishing Tools Specialist 1989–93
- Developed and maintained software tools for publications groups.
- Created fonts for use in publications.
- Managed a group of page-composition specialists.